Monday, February 17, 2014

The Wedding Dress -- Hand Basting the Layers


This thread is a dream! I am so glad I purchased it. The basting goes really fast and easy because the thread stays perfectly smooth like. . . well. . . silk! It doesn't kink, knot, or fray. I am certainly sold on using this thread for all basting needs.

Each pattern piece had to be set up so that it was easy to baste. I turned the pins 90 degrees so that when basting along the seam line, there was less chance to stab myself with a pin. No need to ruin a white wedding dress with a few drops of blood!




Each seam line had to be basted separately -- continuing the the sewing line without cutting the thread and re-knotting is a no-no. The point of basting is to hold two pieces of fabric together, temporarily and being able to remove it quickly as needed. Also, you want to remove only what you need to remove. If everything is connected, when you pull out one thread you may pull out too much.


I was able to complete three of the 12 bridal skirt pieces yesterday. I think I can get the rest of them done today. Because the basting is so easy to do, I've been entertaining myself by watching old television series on Hulu. Remember Emergency?

Happy basting (and saving lives)!

No comments: