Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Wedding Dress -- Connecting the Skirt Panels


I started hand sewing the skirt panels today. Here are pictures of the four front panels attached. Since the dress is shorter in the front than the back, these are the three shortest seams. It took me about two hours to put these three panels together. Yes, that is a long time. Yes, I could have done it faster. No, it would not have come out as nice.

I think that it looks pretty good right now. If I am not careful, my seams may get out of alignment. That would leave pin holes where I don't want them to be. I also cannot press the fabric until DD tries it on and I have machine sewn the final seam. I don't want to creases in the fabric in case I need to let out a seam a little. You can see the the inside of the skirt in the picture on the right. In couture, you leave plenty of extra fabric until the dress' final fitting. Before completing the process, these seams will be trimmed, tacked down and hidden behind the lining.

I also got the wraps on the bodice cut out in the interfacing this morning. Tomorrow's goal is to cut out the wraps in the fashion fabric and get as much done on the skirt as possible. Could I actually get it done?

Happy Sewing!

No comments: