Thursday, February 28, 2013

Project 2016 -- Florida or Bust: Kitchen Makeover Day Six


As the week passes, I am more and more convinced that I really underestimated the amount of time that I would need to accomplish this. While I have done a lot of work, the painting is really slow. Not because I am a slow painter, but that each door needs two coats of the base paint which has to dry completely between coats. You can only paint one side at a time and I only have room for 2 doors at a time on my painting station.

[Tip Alert!] Following a suggestion by the folks at Rust-Oleum, I took a shelf out of an old wall unit and drilled holes in it. I then put screws through each hole. This allows me to set the doors on the screws holding the door up off the surface of the table. This allows me to paint the sides and allow them to dry without the paint "gluing" the doors to the table.

before painting bottom
after painting bottom
I have painted two coats of the base paint on both of the top units of cabinets. They look really good and I am happy with the way they look except for the color but that will change (see yesterday's post). However, I did have to make a discovery when I was sitting in the middle of the kitchen. I didn't think that I would have to paint the bottom of the cabinets, but alas, you can see the bottoms when you sit in a chair. It became really obvious when I painted the fronts and you could see the difference in color. So I had to take the extra time to paint them. But they will look really good when they are completely done.

All together I have 21 cabinet doors of varying sizes and 8 drawer front to paint. I have completed 2 coats on one side of the eight drawer fronts and 13 cabinet doors. And that is only the first step. When I am done with this, there is the glaze coat and then a protective gloss coat. Hmmm.

Happy painting.

No comments: