Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Squeezing Some Knitting in on my Working Vacation


This is one of the reasons that Fair Isle can be a pain. This is my latest design project. I have been working on this for a couple of weeks and you can see that for every color you add, you get two yarn ends that need to be woven in.

My favorite method of weaving in loose ends of thread is to "skim" them into the back of stitches. Skimming can be done vertical or horizontally. In skimming, you put the needle into the yarn instead of under or around it. The picture on the left shows a my needle splitting the strand of yarn. After splitting 4 or 5 stitches I pull the stitch through.

While I can try to explain what is done with pretty pictures and try and describe what it is I do--I think that I will let the master take care of it. TechKnitting had a three part series on how to work in ends. Part one is how to  skim; part two on weaving and part three on weaving for ribbing.

Enjoy! Happy working in ends.

No comments: