Sunday, February 24, 2013

Project 2016 -- Florida or Bust: Kitchen Makeover Day Two

Before
Before

Wow! My whole body hurts! Yesterday was a long day and I hardly got started on the counter tops. I emptied all of the cabinets, moved the kitchen table into the family room and got the microwave down. I took all the extra caulk out of crevices along the edges of the counters and around the sink. I set up a work station with my new saw horses and a wooden shelf in the middle of the kitchen. I'll use this as a table where I can prepare the doors for painting and use as a station to do the counter tops.

After
After watching the counter top restoration 'how to' video again, and for about the last half hour that I could remain standing, I started sanding the finish of the laminate counter tops. It only took a half an hour to get them half done. This afternoon after I finished sanding the counter tops and taping off the sink and other areas, the DH and I did step one of the counter top transformation.

After
Funny thing about 'how to' videos, the people on the 'how to' videos smile a lot, never yell at each other, and not only are they perfectly clean when finished -- the room is clean, too! Not so much at my house. A little yelling, a paint covered T-shirt, and a HUGE mess!

The process is to roll a thick adhesive paint onto the roughed up counter tops and then using this "yard-fertilizer-spreader" applicator thing you put this substance that looks like (is?) crushed rock. The crushed rock is now everywhere!

I am glad I followed the instructions to tape up the sink. I can imagine what would happen to the garbage disposal if I had not. The crushed rock even went over the ledge behind the sink and landed all over the sofa in the family room. (I guess I needed to vacuum anyway.)

Mess
Yes, in the carpet, too.











The color is such a stark contrast to the original white. But no remorse here, I know that the cabinets will be much lighter and with clean painted walls, this kitchen will look great.

Happy (?) cleaning!










No comments: