Monday, September 16, 2013

Correction (I'm Sari, I Made A Mistake)


After my last post, a friend of mine commented to me on facebook: "There is a difference between gathering and draping." Um, yeah, okay, but you see/hear the term used inappropriately in fashion all the time! But, that does not mean I have to follow the crowd.

Draping is creating a dress or garment simply by arranging fabric around a body using the natural fall of the fabric. The most famous drape would be the sari." And that of course is nothing like what I was doing with the wedding dress (even if the pattern pieces are named "front drape" and "back drape").

I also referred to gathering which is a term which refers to a length of fabric being drawn up into gathers and sewn into a shorter length of fabric. I am not gathering in this dress either. (Here is a fantastic tutorial by Dana at Made).

What I am actually doing on DD's wedding dress is "ruching." Ruching
is a gathered overlay. Parallel sides of the fabric are gathered and stitched to an underlayment. Often the ruching is done with a sheer such as chiffon or organza. Now that sounds like what I am doing! Ruching is commonly seen in evening wear and bathing suits. But in my research I also found examples of ruched jacket, gloves, leggings, shoes, and t-shirts.

So, now that I finally know what I am doing. I can speak with authority -- even if I haven't figured out what I am doing!

Happy Ruching!



No comments: