Sunday, September 8, 2013

Baby Quilt Saga Continues


I could have had this quilt done earlier in the week, but I was busy with the boning for the wedding dress. This was what I was trying to finish yesterday when I had disaster #1. Despite all of the activity surrounding it, this quilt was easy to construct and went pretty quickly. I had actually created the four blocks at the same time as I did another set back in November when my DD; the knitting sister and had a Thanksgiving quilt-a-thon. The other quilt was just like this but with a blue cap and red shoes.

The inner border is a 2 X 2 block similar to what I did with the skull quilt and the outer border is a modified log cabin round. This border is nice because each side is the same length and width and you don't need corner blocks. The trick is to measure the length of the center quilt -- in this case 24 1/2 inches; adding the width of your planned strip -- for this quilt 7 inches; and less the two 1/4 inch seam widths. So the size of the strip was 31 inches X 7 inches.

The second trick to constructing the quilt is that the first side must be sewn part way in a method known as "partial seam construction." Kind of obvious, right? Since I am too busy to do a tutorial myself, I found one that I think is really well done on Fresh Lemons to share with you. She has done an excellent job of explaining the technique -- I think you will find it very easy to follow.

Next in line will be another girl quilt which is also using up blocks from the Thanksgiving quilt-a-thon.

Happy quilting!

No comments: