Since I had never used boning in any sewing project, I had to do some research on the internet. I found two terrific blogs on how to apply it in a strapless dress. These two blogs are so well done, that I am not going to try to reinvent the wheel and do my own how-to, but I will direct you to Sewaholic and Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing for detailed instructions on preparing the boning and applying it to the bodice.
I did use Sewaholic's method of heating up the plastic boning in a pot on the stove to reduce the curl in the plastic. This worked great and made it much easier to insert the boning in the channels. I also used her suggestion to use a nail file to smooth out the ends after trimming them to a curve.
Although I used the purchased boning channels, I really like the method that Gertie used for her dress. I can see where the purchase boning channels could be too bulky -- especially when you are dealing with fine fabrics like silk. I may do that in the final rendition of the dress.
You may also notice that I have marked the channel
with the length of the boning. I figured that two or 3 months from now, when I fit the dress on DD, I won't remember the length and instead of having to re-measure it, I can just read it off the channel! Well, I have a few more channels to apply so I'll leave it at that.
I just checked on the dress form and it has shipped and is destined to arrive on Tuesday! Yea!