Saturday, April 23, 2011

New Yarn arrives.

Yes, I know I am supposed to be on a budget; but sometimes a knitter just can't help herself. I ordered the yarn for my next project as seen on the cover of the book mostly mittens. I got the order in on Monday from Paradise Fibers, but I wasn't too happy with the color selection that I picked -- that is one of the problems with selecting colors based on internet pictures -- "what you see" is not always "what you get".

(Hypocrisy Alert!) I am about to go against what I just said about colors on the internet. My pictures are not the best to show the colors on the internet anyway, but I think you will see enough to follow my logic.

Original yarn color choices
The pattern calls for seven skeins of yarn in 2 colors -- 3 shades of one color, and 4 shades of the other. The three shades will be the background color and the 4 shades will be the design color. I chose pink and green to be the colors that I wanted with green as the back ground and pink as the design.

The darkest pink turned out to be more of a brick red color. The two darker greens are almost identical except that one is a brighter version of the other. Since I had a coupon for free coupon from Paradise Fibers which I received when I signed up for their newsletter, I went on line to find another green to replace one of the dark  greens. I ended up buying two more greens as I was scared one wouldn't turn out as a viable option.

New color set with one of the new green shades
I did like the new green much better, but then I kept looking at the pinks. The brick red seemed to fight with the bright pink and I was not happy with that either. Now I was wishing that I had ordered another pink. Then it occurred to me that I could flip the arrangement and have the pink as the background and green as the design. This gave me several more options  from which to choose.

Option 1
Option 1 removed one of the dark greens and the brightest pink. I love the two medium greens that I got, especially the darker one -- Limestone.

Option 2
The only color different here is the darkest green -- I have swapped out to the duller of the two.

Option 3

Here I have taken out the brick red and put back the bright medium pink -- I like this much better. Both the bright green and the bright pink really pop. This also has the brighter dark green in it.

Option 4
The final set has the pinks without the brick red and the greens with the duller of the two dark greens. I think that this is the option that I like the best. I can't wait to get knitting!

No comments: