Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Hypotenuse of a Triangle. . .




I have suddenly become enamored of wearing dresses and skirts. A work colleague of mine wears the loveliest dresses and skirts. She is a young attorney who doesn’t let her need for professionalism inhibit the way she dresses. I used to think that if I wanted to be taken seriously at work, I had to dress less feminine. I am sure that part of the reason I have not had a dress in my wardrobe in several years coincided with our move from Tampa, Florida to Chicago, Illinois – but I have to think that at least subconsciously, I stopped wearing dresses to compete at work. Last weekend, this part of my life collided with my knitting life!

I started looking at dress and skirt patterns on Ravelry. I wanted something easy, fast and colorful. I found it in a pattern called Lanesplitter by Tina Whitmore. This free pattern is all of that and fun to knit. It is designed to be knit with one colorway of Noro Kureyon -- a yarn I've used before. I paged through several finished examples by Ravelry members and saw several that were done with two different yarns. Using a light/bright yarn on the row that pops the purl side to the front and a dark/dull color to pull the other row to the back. So what I did was get two colorways of Noro Kureyon -- one dark/dull and the other one light/bright. There is some cross over colors in both of the yarns. There is a lavender and a mix of blue and red in both of the yarns and they came up at the same time in one place, but I think that it gives the skirt interest.

The pattern is über easy! Three rows of knitting and one row of purling. The hardest part of the pattern is the  increases and/or decreases at each end of the rows. Although the pattern has "sizes", because the pattern is basically a rectangle, you stop increasing both sides when you hit the desired length, continue increasing on one side while decreasing on the other side until the other directions hits the desired diameter at which time you begin decreasing on both sides. (It's easier than you think -- read the pattern.) I have the skirt about 60% of the way knit and I have only been working on it a few days. Can't wait to finish it!

Happy Knitting!



No comments: