Saturday, September 8, 2012

Hypotenuse finished!


I told you in my last post, that this skirt was über easy to knit. It was almost too easy. So easy that I made two mistakes.

1. I didn't pay really close attention to the stitch count. Oops! When I got to the end, I ended up with one more "ridge" than I had on the beginning row. I didn't even notice it until I started to block it. The one corner was a little loose and floppy. When I got it off the blocking wires it looked pretty good, then I started to sew up the seam and I found that I was off by one ridge.

2, The skirt also ended up about 2 inches longer than what I was aiming to get. I had thought about raveling back a few rows and re-knitting the corner, but that was not going to fix the length -- that would only be fixed by raveling back about 75% of the knitting. And that was NOT going to happen.

So instead of picking up and knitting on a waistband, which would have given it even more length, I decided to fold over the top and form a pocket for the elastic. This basically solved both problems! The skirt is a little bulky around the waist, but I wore it with a blouse that covered that up.

I wore the skirt to work yesterday. It is light weight, comfortable giving easily when bending over or stooping. On my mile walk from the office to the train it was about 78 degrees yesterday afternoon and I was not too warm. I received several compliments which is always nice!

I am already thinking about knitting another Lanesplitter. But I have another couple of projects to finish first and then there is another skirt that I saw and might like to try: The Paint Chip Skirt. Yum!

Happy Knitting.

No comments: