Sunday, August 21, 2011

Knitting while Traveling III - Forest Footies

Yes, I made it to my LYS, Wool & Company, earlier in the week and I bought more Noro Kureyon. If you remember from last week's post, my hiking trip inspired me to knit a pair of socks which brings in the greens grays and blues from the beautiful scenery of Devil's Lake Park in Wisconsin.

This weekend I had another trip -- this time to the Women of Faith conference in Indianapolis, Indiana with three great friends. Long car rides are great for both conversation and knitting so knit (and talk) I did. And here is the result -- Ta Daaaahhhhh!


Yes, I know I said greens, grays and blues, but I couldn't come up with a mixture of color in quite the same combination that I was seeing in my mind's eye. But I think this is a good representation of what I saw at Devil's Lake.

Again, I used Cat Boardhi's Sweet Tomago Heel,; however, this time I used only two wedges. I think that for me, two wedges are much better and I don't get the big bulky bunch of yarn scrunched up at the back of my heel. Another difference between this pair and Road Trip Socks was that I used 44 stitches as opposed to 48 stitches. The sock is a little snugger which I like. I also made this pair of socks as footies since I don't usually wear a crew sock.

I also bought a new yarn for me, Liberty Wool which is a machine washable, 100% wool yarn which promises good stitch definition. In that batch is the blue, but the greens are brighter and look more like a meadow than a forest -- but that is alright because on that same trip we also stopped at Cut Rock State Park in Illinois outside of Rockford and went through a prairie meadow trail there.

Cut Rock looks like a great place to swim and fish with a nice sized lake, Pierce Lake, complete with boat ramp, but the park was much more crowded than Devil's Lake and the wooded hiking that we found was too near the expressway and we were unable to hear the birds.

I think that my next pair of socks will incorporate a cable. I love cables and the Noro is not a smooth enough yarn to use to do a cable. I will let you know soon how things are coming.

I am putting away my knitting needles (and the computer) for the next few hours since I have a baby quilt calling my name. I only have another couple of hours to go, but I need to get it into the mail tomorrow so that my sister can start quilting it on her long arm. If I remember to snap a couple of pictures tonight, I will post them before I mail it off.

Happy knitting AND quilting!


No comments: