Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Machine! 2

Machine Knit Ear Flap Hat (Chullo)
Is this cool or what. Not just because I made it, but I just think it is so cool that you CAN make it on a machine. In reading the pattern that I found on Marzipanknits, I had no idea how it was to be put together, I could not see how the ear flaps were formed, but I followed the directions and a hat appeared! The pattern was written with another machine in mind and I used a slightly heavier yarn, so although the pattern called for a gauge of 5 stitches and 7 rows to the inch, I ended up with 3 1/2 stitches and 5 rows per inch. Luckily, the pattern was for a small child and I ended up with an adult sized hat. If it had been an adult sized hat, the resulting hat may have been big enough for a gorilla!

The green yarn is waste yarn and does not become part
 of the ending design.
Sometimes, necessity truly is the mother of invention.  The patten calls for placing claw weights near the knitting as you knit. I have not yet bought claw weights, so I improvised. Two paper clasps holding up a kitchen grater, hanging from S hooks. I guess I should order a couple of claw weights. If ever I want to knit and the grater has just been used for coleslaw, I may have trouble!

My next move is to use my Knitting Nancy to make the tassels on the ear flap.


No comments: