Friday, May 20, 2011

Sweater Adventure Update


Traveling set me back in my machine knitting, but now that I am home, I made some progress today with my great-nephew's sweater. I have completed the back and front, connected both shoulders and knitted the neck line.

I tried steam blocking the back when I had it done, but it did not seem to make a difference at all. I am not sure that I was getting enough steam into it as I was using my iron and I was afraid to get the iron too close to the yarn. Melted sweaters don't go over well as gifts.

I found out that there is quite a difference of opinion on whether or not you even have to block acrylic yarn.  Some say that blocking an acrylic sweater is not necessary. I heard that when acrylic yarns were created, one of the selling points was that it blocked in the dryer. But there are others who swear by blocking acrylic yarn. I was directed to an excellent blog by BeadKnitter Pattern. The pictures of the before and after of the baby cardigan that she blocks are amazing! BeadKnitter used a Jiffy Steamer which is way different than an iron and is now on my future wish list.  But since I don't have said steamer, I will try the whole "blocking in the dryer" thing.

I know that this is a "practice" sweater, but now that I have put a face to the recipient I'm a little afraid to mess it up. So tackling the sleeves is scaring me. The first one will not be any trouble -- it will be the second one which will bother me. Sleeves are supposed to look alike, what if I can't get them to match.

Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: