Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sweater Adventure: One Arm Down -- One to Go


So here I am this close to finishing! It only took me about an hour and a half to work the first sleeve. I made good notes while I worked on the sleeve. I wrote down exactly which rows have decreases and I hope that I can successfully complete a MATCHING set. So far I am really happy with my experimental sweater. By the way, the color in the picture above is a good representation of the actual color as I took the pictures outside. The below pictures were taken indoors with a flash and the colors are way off.

Now, I know that many have gone before me, and I am definitely not re-inventing the wheel; but I figured out that I could use a lifeline to help me knit the ribbing on the cuff. When I completed the 56 rows needed for the sleeve, I took a piece of contrasting waste yarn and using a yarn needle, wove it into each stitch. I then knitted the 12 rows for the ribbed cuff.

The yellow waste yarn not only marked how far down to ladder down for the ribbing, it prevented the yarn from raveling past where I wanted to go.

If you look carefully in the photo on the right, my hook tool is in the same loop that the yarn runs through. It is easy to catch the right loop to begin the purl column of the ribbing. When the ribbing was done and I had cast off, the waste yarn easily pulled out.

I am still not 100 percent happy with the way the ribbing looks. It looks uneven and no matter what I do, it does not seem to improve. I am hoping that it is the yarn and that projects with a good wool yarn will not look so bad.

Not looking forward to sewing in all the yarn ends either, but I was not sure if I had enough of the main color to finish. And it is really nice looking with the stripes.

Happy Knitting!

No comments: