Sunday, January 27, 2013

With Ginkgo, Blocking Isn't as Easy as You "Thinkgo"




I remember when I blocked my Fall Colored Ginkgo Leaves last year, I ended up having to run out to my local craft store to pick up another package of rust proof pins to finish the intricate blocking required on this shawlette. So, at least this time, I have a sufficient number of pins on hand. I used two blocking wires along the top of the shawlette and one blocking wire down the center spine.



Using a printed copy of a photo out of the pattern, I pinned out the point of the shawlette.  Then slowly worked up each side of the shawl until I had each leaf blocked. When I was done, I only had 3 pins left!

The shawlette blocked out to a measurement of 45 inches wide by 22 inches high.



The hat, surprisingly, was more difficult to block. Since this is a slouch beret, I couldn't just throw it on my head form as I have for the last few hats. The ribbing on the hat was pretty loose after it was soaked and I needed to stretch out the body of the hat so the lace could be seen without stretching the ribbing.

I stuffed the body of the had with plastic grocery bags an then used the eyelets formed by the increases just over the ribbing through which to run a piece of yarn.


I pulled the yarn snug and tied a bow knot. This helps stretch the body of the hat and eliminates the stretch in the ribbing .



I then place it with a wine bottle going up into the stuffing to support the hat without smashing the ribbing. The ribbing may take a little longer to dry this way, but I am not in any hurry.



I used a fun little online picture editing website, PicMonkey. A lot of the features are free and it is kind of fun to use, however, as you can see, the pictures are not very clear. If you would like to see better pictures of this project as well as notes on how I worked the pattern please go here for the hat and here for the shawl.

Happy Knitting!

No comments: