Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Knitting for my baby boy!

OK, he isn't such a baby, but I love to knit for my VERY LOVED ones. My handsome son is in the Navy and after two years of not getting to see him, he surprised me with a trip home for Christmas! So, since I had not anticipated seeing him, I had not bought him any gifts. But he wanted me to knit him a hat and scarf. Easy peasy!!!

I spent the entire week knitting for my boy. The first day he was here, I took him to my LYS and let him pick out the yarn. He had already picked the hat pattern, David's Hat, off of Ravelry and knew that he wanted lime green and black. However, he settled on a bright (not quite lime) green and charcoal. I bought two skeins in each color of Plymouth Yarn's Galway and one skein of Cascade Yarn Highland Duo in a marine blue.

I enjoyed working with the Galway. It has great stitch definition and seemingly was made for Fair Isle work. This will not be the last time I will knit with it. The Highland Duo is very soft which was the point as it is the liner on the hat, but it is very splitty and requires care to not knit only half a stitch. I have used Cascade yarns in the past with great appreciation, but I was not as happy with this one.

My boy wanted a very long scarf. I didn't bother looking for a pattern as I thought it would be best to knit a classic look. I knit a 2 X 2 rib in an uneven stripe. The charcoal stripe was 15 rows and the lime was 21 rows. The total length was 93 inches with a width of 6 1/2 inches.

What a great Christmas!

Happy knitting!

No comments: