Saturday, April 21, 2012

You Can't Read Just One. . . .


I know. . .another book! Don't I have enough patterns? When am I ever going to find time to do all of them? Isn't that just an extravagance? Well, yeah, I do have enough patterns. No, I may never find time to knit all the patterns. Maybe it is extravagant, but when you buy one book on line, you might as well buy a second or third so that save on postage and handling overall. (OK, that is a reach, but let's not get distracted.)

One + One Scarves, Shawls & Shrugs edited by Iris Schreier is full of beautiful neck and shoulder wear. Lately, I have been looking for knitted items to wear all year which will dress up a plain blouse at work and this book fits the bill. With seven scarves, 9 cowls and capelets, 8 shawls and wraps, and 5 shrugs there is something for everyone in this book. But these patterns are not for the faint of heart -- there are only three "beginner patterns" and 2 "easy patterns" in the collection. The techniques offered in the book include provisional and mobius cast-ons, carrying yarns (as many of the patterns alternates between two yarns), short rows (for those sock enthusiasts among us) and adding beads to your knitting. There is little boring about this book!

For me, some of these patterns such as the Cashmere Bolero or the Peekaboo Shrug would end up being gifts for my daughter as they seem to be too youthful for my own taste. But I can easily see myself wearing the Striped Mobius, the Asymmetric Shawlette or the Lacy Textured Cowl.

Half the enjoyment of owning a book like this is reading the patterns. I once knew someone who liked to read recipe books but never really cooked. At least I knit once in a while.

Happy knitting!





No comments: