Sunday, April 29, 2012

Update on Alexandra Gold -- and a Humble Stitch


I have just started the 19th row of the 5th chart of Dee O'Keefe's Alexandra. Now that I have hit this mark, the  number of stitches in each row is well over 300 -- and growing with every row. Some of the rows seem to go much faster than others. I don't know if it is the specific pattern of stitches or my frame of mind that makes some rows so much more difficult than others. But the process is definitely educational as I have learned a lot about how to fix errors as many as eight rows below.

Now I know you must ask "Ledra, how do you get eight rows before discovering an error?"

"Well, I have to tell you that some errors are easier to find than others."

Specifically, errors which are not missing stitches, but misplaced stitches. Take the above picture. Until I mentioned error, did you see the one in this picture? It is there, I noticed it after I took this picture and I am not going down after it at this point. I will just consider it my "humble stitch" and move on.

What is a humble stitch, it is a stitch that keeps you humble. In quilting there is a myth that Amish women purposely made a mistake in one of the blocks of every quilt that they do because only God is perfect. I know quite well that I am far from perfect as I have never had to intentionally make a humble stitch or a humble block -- they are naturally in every knit piece and quilt that I make.

Happy knitting!

2 Corinthians 12:9

No comments: