Sunday, April 14, 2013

New Pair of Socks on the Needles


It has been a long time since I knitted a pair of socks. The last pair was knitted more than 18 months ago. So, I thought it is just about time to get to work on another pair. This time I am using a pattern out of Cat Bordhi's e-book, Cat's Sweet Tomato Heel Socks. The pattern is a lace sock in fingering weight yarn called Minnesota Moonlight. I love the Sweet Tomato Heel and have used it in prior socks and basically bought the book just so that I could get the instructions on how to do the heel! But I have never done any of Cat's actual sock patterns. So of course I start with a lace pair!

The yarn that I have chosen is Crystal Palace Yarns - Mini Mochi (80% merino wool and 20% nylon) in color way "Beach". Shell pink, sky blue, sand beige, and green water is nice and summery for a pair of light summer socks. However, I fell in love with the color, before I thought about the yarn's construction. There is quite a bit of fuzz and a lack of twist in the yarn and this makes the yarn rather "splitty" and hard to knit itty-bitty stitches on US size 1 needles.

I am hoping these socks end up thin enough for me to wear in dressier shoes. All of the other socks that I have knit worsted weight socks, so these will be the first sock weight socks.

Happy knitting!

No comments: