Saturday, March 16, 2013

Project 2016 -- Florida or Bust:Kitchen Makeover -- The Difference Glaze Makes


On the left is one of the cabinet doors with only the base paint; and on the right, one with the glaze layer added. On the left: cool, flat, grey; and on the right: warm, glossy, taupe. Wow, what a difference glaze makes!

As I wrote in one of my prior posts, I had to keep reminding myself the painting treatment was a two part process and continue through the cool, flat, grey color with which I was covering my cabinets. But now that I am on the second part of the color steps -- I see my plan coming together.

This step is going much quicker. I started yesterday after dinner at about 8:30 and at this point in time I have finished glazing all of the upper and lower cabinets and started the cabinet doors.

I am planning on beginning the final step of a clear protective coat tomorrow even though I will not have finished glazing the doors. The clear coat takes 12 hours to dry enough to put hardware on the doors, 24 hours for full use and 7 to 10 days to cure. I want to make sure that the cabinets are cured before re-installing the microwave since I removed it on Day One. The DH is missing the microwave -- no hot lunches when he is home alone.

I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Although I won't be done by Easter Weekend, I can at least have a working kitchen -- I'll take a short break before I begin painting the walls and trim and install the tile back splash.

No comments: