Saturday, November 19, 2011

Textured Checkerboard Scarf


I have been working on a scarf for the daughter of a friend of mine all week and it is about half way done. I selected a rather inexpensive acrylic (70%) and alpaca (30%) blend called Andes Alpaca by Yarn Bee in the color Pearl. The acrylic makes it washable and the alpaca makes it fuzzy. I know it is fuzzy because I was knitting it on the train wearing black dress pants and the fuzz was all over me. The yarn also has a nice sheen too it. I am not a big fan of acrylic yarn, but this yarn is a little smoother and softer than the average acrylic.


I am working it up in a textured checkerboard pattern. It isn't anything that I had a pattern for, so I just winged it, however, I am sure I am not reinventing the wheel here!

Row 1 K5, P5, K5, P5, K5, P5, K5
Row 2 P5, K5, P5, K5, P5, K5, P5
repeat rows 1 and 2 three times
then

Row 1 P5, K5, P5, K5, P5, K5, P5
Row 2 K5, P5, K5, P5, K5, P5, K5
repeat rows 1 and 2 three times

Then continue repeating until the scarf is the length that you want. I am using a pair of US size 9 Addi Turbos.

For the average sized woman, 48 to 52 inches is about the right length with 60 inches as a very long scarf.

Happy Knitting!

No comments: