Friday, November 25, 2011

Making progress

I love vacation if for no other reason than I am able to make some real progress with my knitting. As you can see I have gotten quite a bit accomplished even with time out to prepare a thanksgiving dinner for eight. It has been especially enjoyable as my knitting sister has been staying at my house for the holiday weekend.

As I did with my textured sweater vest, I am knitting both the front and the back simultaneously. For me this proves to be the best option as I would hate to become bored with the pattern and never finish the front of the sweater after I complete the back. What a waste of good yarn.

But knitting the two sides together adds a small problem, if I get interrupted for any reason when I am between the two sides, I sometimes turn the work too soon and have more rows completed on one side versus the other. I solved this problem by connecting the two sides with stitch markers. I then treat this as if it is one piece switching the yarn ball in the middle.

The pattern is fairly easy to do. I say only fairly easy as it is fairly easy to get the count off and put a purl where a knit should be. So I have tried to get in the habit of checking my work after I have completed every row. When I find that I have made a mistake in the pattern, I mark the stitch with a stitch marker and use a crochet hook to fix it when I come to that stitch on the next pass.

I like the Wool of the Andes Bulky that I am using. The stitch definition is pretty good, and the yarn is not so thick that the sweater will be too hot when worn indoors. I wish my camera was better so that I could show what the true color is. But I work with the tools I have.

My knitting sister has been working on a pair of socks. At the present time, she is using Cascade 220 in Lime Heather to knit a pair of socks from The Big Book of Socks by Kathleen Taylor. She is on her 4th pair of adult socks out of this book. She likes this book because most of the sock patterns use the same size needle, so she has not had to go out and purchase a bunch of Addi turbos in various sizes. (Being on a limited budget is really hard on a rabid knitter.) I spent some time sharing the Silver's Sock Class website with her last night as she is interested in trying toe up socks.

Well, I am itching to get back to knitting, so Happy Knitting!

1 comment:

Debbie Minerva said...

I have the same sentiments as you. I am loving these four days of the Thanksgiving holiday because I get to make real progress on my afghan (knitting it for my husband for Christmas). I have to negotiate with myself these days in order to get my household chores done! It's really easy for me to forgo the laundry in lieu of the possibility of finishing another section of the afghan. I loved the work on your sweater.