Sunday, July 3, 2011

Working on the cabled sweater

This afternoon, I started working on the front of my sleeveless cable sweater. It has been slow going, and I needed a break, so I thought that I would blog my progress.  Here is the last picture I took of it showing 5 twists. The process is fairly simple -- but slow going. However, not nearly as slow going knitting by hand!

I have to say that creating the purl stitches is easier to do in this pattern than it is in a rib. This is only 4 columns of purl stitches in the entire pattern. I hope that making good purl stitches just requires a lot of practice, because I am not really happy with how they look. They are not really as even as I like.
 I did one thing to make it easier to keep track of where my purl stitches were supposed to go. I taped a small piece of red paper over the two stitches on both sides of the cable on the bed in front of the green retainer bar.









 In order to pick up the first side of the cable, I used a cable stitch holder that I have had for years for my hand knitting.










Here are the first stitches hanging out of the way so that I could move over the other half of the cable.







It would be nice to have three hands so that I could take a picture of myself moving the four stitches -- but alas I am just like everyone one else. . . I need a tripod.

Well, I have a sweater to finish.  Happy knitting.

No comments: