Friday, August 22, 2014

Julia Child - The Way to Cook Recipe 2 Beets


I promise that I am not going to go all Julie & Julia on you and make every recipe in this book and make you read about it. I am certainly not "cook" enough to do that job. However, it is fun to try out new recipes now and then -- especially with vegetables. My usual ways of preparing them is either steam them or slice them and eat them raw. Occasionally, I go out on a limb and will bake a winter squash in the oven with butter on it. (Sorry, I don't mean to go all wild and crazy on you.)

Only a couple of pages away from the Hominy dish was a recipe for Grated Sauteed-Steamed Beets. I love beets! They are one of my favorite things. My mother used to pickle them herself when I was a kid and I ate the by the jar. The recipe is easy - only four ingredients and takes but a few minutes to cook. But unless you have a Mouli Julienne or a food processor it is a bit of work to grate up the beets. I did not have any red wine vinegar as was called for in the recipe, so I substituted cider vinegar. I used 3 Tbls butter and I was pretty heavy handed with fresh ground pepper, but I liked the spiciness of the finished product.

I served it along side a Spencer Cut Rib Eye Steak. The DH gave it his "Yeah-I'd-eat-it-again" seal of approval. I found an on-line version of the recipe here at healthy-beets.com. So, let me know if you try it.

I need to get a better plate for pictures if I'm going to keep blogging about food.

Happy Eating!

No comments: