Sunday, February 12, 2012

Autumn Days


I have been trying to finish this quilt. I have been so involved in knitting, that I have been ignoring this quilt. But I have to get it done soon as the baby is already 4 months old and I haven't got her quilt done! Since I last posted about "A is for Autumn", I have gotten a little done. I have finished the three other motifs that I wanted to do on the quilt: pumpkins, a basket of apples and a squirrel gathering nuts. I have not put the top or bottom boarder on the quilt as it is less fabric to get the blanket stitching done in the center.



I use a sewing machine to apply the blanket stitching as I am not very fast when doing it by hand. Actually, I think that sewing a blanket stitch by machine is two slow and would prefer waving a magic wand. But since magic wands are expensive, I make due with a machine.

The thread that I use for the blanket stitch is mettler silk finish cotton thread. I must have about 30 different colors. It helps give some dimension to a bunch of red apples in a basket if you have more than one red.
But the blanket stitch is more than just a design element. It also helps keep the fusable edges of the quilt motifs from fraying and falling apart. I always tell the recipient of the quilt that if it falls apart, they should bring it back and I will fix it. Either people are really shy or the blanket stitch works because I have never gotten a quilt back from anyone to fix.

Happy quilting!

No comments: