Friday, January 17, 2014

The Wedding Dress 3.0



My last post was on December 1st and except for a lot of snow and a lot of very cold weather, not much of anything has happened. Nothing creative has happened for sure! I have not knitted, quilted or spun the only thing I have done is reworked the wedding dress a couple of times over. It is hard to work on miles and miles of plain white cotton. Last week I finished version three of the muslin and mailed it to DD via FedEx. Tonight she is going to try it on and we will do a fitting via Skype with one of her roommates helping. I am looking forward to starting the real dress if the fitting goes well.

I have to admit that I found a mistake in my calculations when I made the original bridal skirt. The pattern that I used for the skirt -- McCall's 6701 -- describes the dress as "close-fitting". The dress on the model in the picture is worn like a second skin. However, when I sat down and added up the width of all the pieces that made up the actual measurements of the dress at the waist -- it includes 2 1/2 inches of ease. So that is why my measurements were so far off! Note to self: Measure the pattern pieces themselves and measure them twice. . .

Now I just need to shake these winter "blues" that have set in with the winter white! Maybe I can get something done that has some color in it while I am waiting for the next stage in the dress.

Happy sewing, knitting, spinning or something! . . anything!

No comments: