Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What happens when dye meets wool?


















Take one skein of 100% wool, add 4 packages of Kool-Aid, heat and water!

I decided to use up some left over Kool-Aid from my dyeing experiment of two weeks ago. I had two skeins of Paton's Classic Wool in a heathered light grey and decided that I would try to dye one of them with Kool-Aid in the microwave. I wish that I had taken pictures during my process, but alas, I wasn't thinking.

I made a hank of yarn out of one skein of yarn using my Niddy Noddy that I made and tied the skein using figure eight ties.

I took two envelopes of grape and two envelopes of fruit punch and mixed each color with about 3/4 cup of hot water. After soaking the yarn in warm water as per my usual method (described here), I laid it out in a glass baking dish poured the dye mix over the yarn and used the microwave to heat it.

It was kind of a wing and a prayer experiment. I can't remember how long I let the microwave run, but I let the yarn cool, rinsed and voilĂ ! Color!

I am thinking about knitting a hat in color-work with both the dyed yarn and the original light grey yarn.

Happy Dyeing!!

No comments: