Sunday, June 24, 2012

Elizabeth Zimmermann's work is genius

I have several baby gifts needed in the next few months. Way more for whom I can possibly get quilts done. So I decided that I would try to make little sweaters. I saw a couple of Baby Surprise Jackets on line at Knitting Paradise and was intrigued. Every single one looked different but each one was beautiful -- a work of art. So I looked up the pattern and purchased it.

Elizabeth Zimmermann designed the pattern and first printed it in a newsletter in 1968. It is a work of art. Knitted "flat", it is one piece folded almost origami style to form a jacket. The pattern as originally written was loosely explained in conversation style; however it has been re-written and is easy to follow.

I started the above BSJ last evening and have gotten almost half of the knitting done already. I call this my Coat of Many Colors. It is made using left-over Lion Brand Microspun yarn in several colors. I am so very excited to see it completed -- however, not so excited about weaving in all the ends. I think that I may try some long self striping yarn for BSJ #2.


No comments: