Sunday, May 13, 2012

Alexandra Gold -- Finishing Steps



I like to use a large mixing bowl to soak my finished knitted item. Somewhere, I read that you are supposed to soak your wool for at least thirty minutes in (not too) warm water so that the water saturates the wool. The reason is that the lanolin in the wool is a natural water repellent and it takes time for the water to work into the fibers.



I add just a little lavender scented body wash. Not because it needs it, but because I really like the smell of it on the dry wool. You should just push the wool under the water and not agitate it at all. Agitation and warm water is what makes yarn felt. Felted lace shawls are not really pretty
 I then put the next smaller bowl on top of the wool and fill it part way with water. This holds all of the yarn under water so that it soaks evenly.
 After 30 minutes, I took the smaller bowl off of the yarn. Look at all of that yellow dye that has come out of the wool into the water!
 Carefully rinse the wool in cool clear water until there is no more dye coming out. Again, be careful not to agitate it too much even in cool water. I pull the wool to the side of the bowl and let the water run into the bowl -- not over the yarn directly.

After pouring out all the water, I gently press down on the wool to squeeze out more water. DON'T EVER TWIST WET WOOL!!!! The wool fiber is weakest when wet and you might have a forever stretched out item.
 After gently squeezing out the wool in the bowl, I put it on a towel. Make sure if you use a dark towel that it is older and does not give off dye or lint onto your newly made item.
 Roll up the towel with the item in it.
Then roll the towel up the other way so that you have fashioned a "ball" of sorts.










Put some pressure on the towel ball so that most of the remaining water is squeezed into the towel. You want your item damp not sopping!


I blocked my Alexandra Shawl using my new blocking wires. It was easy to thread the wires into each scallop tip and along the top edge. It only took a few T pins to stretch it out.

The lace shawl took up nearly the entire double bed and could have been stretched larger if I had had a bigger bed! At 74 X 47 this project is huge!! But really beautiful. So happy with Dee O'keefe's Design.



No comments: