Saturday, September 24, 2011

Convertible mittens are almost done!


I need a long car ride/vacation so that I can get something done. I was sick last weekend and then all this week, I was so busy at work that I didn't have much time to work on any of the many projects that I have on needles. Neither did I get much work done on the Helping Hands quilt -- but that's for another post! But today I sat down and finished the body of the convertible mittens that I have been making for a friend.

Then as I told you in a previous post, I began using the idea of blogger Rebecca at ChemKnits to create convertible mittens from any pattern. I highly recommend this video if you are interested in trying to make your own convertible mitten. I got the opening made on both mittens and I have knitted the ribbing around the opening on one mitten.

For the ribbing around the opening, I stepped down the needle size from a US 6 to a US 4. I can't imagine getting a size 6 into the stitches. It was really hard to pick them up since I had used such a thick waste yarn.

Winging it has its advantages. I have watched many videos and read a lot of posts on Knitting Paradise.  I have taken a lot of ideas from many places. And  you learn by making mistakes, and I have been learning a lot! It has been fun.

One of the interesting things that I learned concerns picking up stitches. When you pick up the stitches before you open up the mitten, because of the way knitting stitches interlock, there will be one more stitch to pick up on one side then there is on the other. I am glad I saw that somewhere in my "travels" or I might have had an awful mess on my hands.

If I get any further tomorrow, I will post the results. Happy knitting!

No comments: