Monday, March 28, 2011

Hope Springs Eternal

Since I am currently dealing with a bum foot (Plantars Fasciitis), on days that I have physical therapy, I have been given permission to work from home as opposed to commuting into the city for a half day in the office. Today is my first time working from home and at the moment I am at lunch. After making the DH a fried egg sandwich, I will be diving into my knitting. One of the 10 year old projects that I found "gathering dust" in a drawer is this chocolate brown afghan.

The color in this picture is rather washed out, but the light picks up the cable pattern nicely.
I started this because I wanted to work something with cables in it.  This easy pattern, designed by Lois S. Young, was inspired by patterns on English Guernsey sweaters worn by fishermen. "Guy's Guernsey Afghan" was published in Quick Knitted Afghans by House of White Birches. My hope is that even though I have made several mistakes mentioned in a previous posting, it will still turn out OK. Of course since I started it 10 years ago, I wasn't as excited about it as when I started it, so ripping out the rows I struggled with was not a priority.

Speaking of the bum foot, I have signed up for a marathon in September. If I am out of the walking boot and done with physical therapy by Mid-May, I will have 4 months to finish training.

Hope springs eternal, even on a cold Chicago March day. What fun to see the first "peeking" of the year. My tulip plantings of 3 years ago are only partially intact as a result of hungry deer that got many of them a couple of years ago.

No comments: