Monday, September 15, 2014

The Better To See You With...


I am working on a new project -- something for me this time. After the Chicago winter last year; the 40 below temperatures we had; and predictions that this winter will be even worse, I am making myself a hooded scarf. There were a handful of patterns for them in Ravelry and I decided on Little Red Riding Hood--a free pattern by Lion Brand Yarn.

This pattern has an interesting stitch called Granite Relief Stitch. I swear that I have seen it before under another name, but could not find it. (If you know what it is please comment below and stop my wondering!) The pattern is highly textured but not one that you could knit brainlessly while watching television. While I have not yet made any errors which required serious 'tinking', I have had to count my stitches on a regular basis.

The texture of the pattern and the complexity of it both come from the fact that one row of the four row repeat decreases by nearly half of all the stitches with a k2tog -- then on the next row increases back up with kfb. The k2tog has already started my index finger aching as I tend to grab the yarn with the fingernail while I slip the needle under both stitches.

The yarn that I am using is Knit Picks Full Circle in Cardinal colorway. It is a worsted weight 100% yarn which is from recycled fibers. It is a nice red which leans towards purple as opposed to orange. The yarn is pretty "sticky". I have had to tink back a few stitches and it isn't a clean trip back. This would make a great felting yarn. I just hope I don't have real problems keeping straight on the pattern or this scarf will be a mess.

Happy Knitting!

No comments: